Saturday, November 04, 2006

T.G.I.F


Really. It is Saturday, but I was thinking T.G.I.F all day yesterday, and really T.G.I.F shouldn't be restricted to just Friday because it is a state of being that should be available to be used across the board. But for this week it was literally Thank Goodness It's Friday. I started a new job last week teaching Special Education at the High School. This is beautiful news because it is what I am going to school for and most people have to wait to finish their credential before getting paid the big bucks, but I am going to be able to make money and go to school. I am really enjoying it so far. It is mildly overwhelming (I don't know how to explain mild overwhelming) but I think I am going to manage.
I was what one might call a lover of high school. I have been told that my enjoyment of high school could reflect poorly on me because majority of people found high school to be a low point in life, therefore I am a bad person for having the opposite experience. That is neither here nor there.
What I am getting at with this whole idea of T.G.I.F. is that yesterday I had a rush of familiar feelings that I knew all to well when I was in elementary all the way through high school. That feeling when you wake up on a Friday and can't help but feel excited that at the end of the day you get this tremendous gift we call "the weekend" or as I like to refer to it as the "freekin' weekin'". Being back in the school environment (day in day out, same class room) brings a new/old appreciation for Fridays and the weekend. I remember as a kid, all week waiting for Friday. Why didn't we anticipate Saturday? Granted it is the full day of the weekend the real pay off for the weekend is when the bell rings or you punch your time card to leave on Friday. What if your weekend falls on a Tues./Wed. then T.G.I.F. on Monday when you check out. Once again T.G.I.F. shouldn't be restricted but the idea of changing it to T.G.I.M or T.G.I.T displaces the nostalgic feelings that made Fridays our favorite day of the week growing up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home